Sunday, September 25, 2011

Delaware Stadium: A Retirement Community?

I did not want to post this before the game because I did not want to encourage any one of that age to take part in this deal.  I have no problem with senior citizens getting discounted tickets or meal deals.  You live that long, you deserve some perks in life.  My issue here is that this advertisement is just another example of catering towards a more vintage crowd.  Here is the ad I am referring to and the writeup I did the night before the game:


There are so many pros and cons to what Delaware is saying with this advertisement.  Just so I don't have to go on with a full blown essay, I'm just going to break it down into lists and sum it up at the end:

PROS:

  • Helps older fans afford to attend games
  • Adds revenue/ticket sales
  • Works with the early kickoff by ending before nightfall (colder temperatures)
CONS:
  • More complaints about the music and noise in the stadium.
  • Quieter crowd (majority of the over 55 crowd is not yelling on 3rd down)
  • Reduced tailgate time (to be fully explained in a bit)
What I was told from someone in the Athletic Department during my time with the school was that the early kickoffs later in the season are because of the colder temperatures at night, presuming that more people will attend day games instead of night ones.  First, the largest crowds of the year (unless the team is undefeated) are at the start of the year.  This season is an anomaly because of the whole UDAF (the donation to buy your seat) issue. But what you end up losing out on are the students and the positive effects of a crowd.  Let's be honest here, a majority of the students would rather tailgate than go into the game.  Holding the game earlier in the day means getting up much earlier and having to head down to the lots early in the morning.  Maybe it was because they were the first games of the year, but I always felt like the night games attracted larger tailgate crowds and more game attendance from the students (another issue I will solve one day).  Yes, the late November games are absolutely miserable when you're wearing the same outfit as you did back in September for luck in that freezing wind, but at least the people who attend the games are the true die-hards.  I'm honestly having trouble putting this full argument into words, but I think that in the end, the goal should be to work on getting students to attend over getting cheap seats sold to senior citizens.

The worst part of all of this is the disrespect that is being shown towards the program by other schools after they caught wind of the ad (I was going to add the message board thread that ripped into us for this spot, but I cannot find it).  Would you be intimidated going into a stadium, known for it's home-field advantage, on a senior citizen day? Not a chance.  I know not everyone in attendance will be over the age of 55, but I am sure there will be a larger number than usual.  At least this was done vs. ODU and not William & Mary or another top team later in the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment