Sunday, September 11, 2011

Cannot Forget (9/11)

I remember exactly where I was when I heard about the Towers.  In my 9th grade math class on Long Island, the announcements were being made and the class was chatting amongst itself.  When our teacher wanted us to be quiet, he told us that a plane hit the World Trade Center.  I thought he was kidding at first, but then there was to be an emergency assembly in the chapel of the school, and it sunk in that something serious happened.

None of my immediate family members were directly affected by the events of September 11, 2001, but as New Yorkers, everyone knew someone who was.  Students at our school lost their father to the attacks.  Other friends and family knew of firefighters and other people who lost their lives that day.  My parents got engaged at the Windows of the World Restaurant.  One of our favorite family photos is of us three kids from Ellis Island with the Twin Towers in the background.  Everything about that day just stunk.  There's not much more to say on this that you won't hear this weekend or haven't heard in the past.  This photo was taken at yesterday's game.  Not the greatest tribute image ever, but fitting to symbolize that everyone across the country was affected by the events of 9/11, even in Delaware.

From Delaware Blue Hens Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment